Re: [hylafax-users] what is an acceptable rate of failure ?

George H wrote:
So can I assume it is safe to use recvstats to justify a success/error
rate on my faxserver?

I would suggest yes. It's certainly what I do.

Even though we sometimes have certain people who
just can't manage to send a fax to us (those cases are low as well and
usually their type/rate is between 2400 and 7600).

As long as we get Phase B from them... then you should see those in RECV records.

I would be surprised if, with a good modem, you're seeing many who call in, can't connect, can't send the fax, and where a RECV record is not being generated. I've certainly seen those cases before... but it's next to impossible to try to quantify them or to separate them from the other misguided calls, voice calls, telemarketer calls, or calls where the sender aborted before its turn in Phase B.

When I run recvstats I have this summary

Numpages: 53311
Time: 3:42:04
Pg/Min: 1.8
Errs: 1524

So from the hylafax stats above my error rate is (1524/53311)*100 = 2.85%
Did I do this right?

Yes, that's how I would calculate it. And I would suggest that 2.85% is too high. But if you're using USR modems or VoIP lines (I can't remember now what you have) then that would explain it.

I tend to see most (not all) errors occuring on senders who's
type/rate is usually under 14400. I have senders sending me
at 2400 1-D MH to 14400 2-D MMR and rarely I get JBIG.

I would advise you to investigate cases where it's coming in at 2400 bps. That's just silly behavior on the part of the sender.

As for JBIG... I assume that you've got all of the JBIG prerequisites (namely libtiff JBIG-in-TIFF support)? If so, then I guess the JBIG demographics are just different where you're at from what they are here.

Thanks,