Re: [hylafax-users] what is an acceptable rate of failure ?

George H wrote:
>The percentage of hylafax errors on received faxes seem to be around
16%-18% on all 4 lines.
>1 Line is connected to POTS, 1 line is going through a PBX, and the other 2
lines are going through an E1 Gateway.
>They all have around the same success and failure rates 10-17% errors, and
82-88% success.

To be honest George you have so many variables here that I doubt you will
make any real progress unless you simplify your setup.  I'm sure you can
understand the number of variables you have with 3 'line' types (possibly
including VoIP), two modem types, and an unknown number of fax machines and
document types.

My suggestion is that you deploy a Mainpine IQ Express card, the latest
version of HylaFAX+, a single modern fax machine, a ITU-T test document, and
use your POTS line ONLY while testing (the fax machine will also require a
POTS line).  With HylaFAX+ logging enabled you should then focus on
achieving the error rates that you require with the help of the people in
this forum.  Once you have a solid solution as a reference you can then
start adding ONE variable at a time - the different line types, modems, fax
machines, and document types, will all have an impact on your test
environment.

If you buy a Mainpine board you will have 30 days in which to return the
board if it does not resolve your problems.... we will also do everything we
can to resolve your issues.

Note: my recommendation to use HylaFAX+ is not because it is "better" than
HylaFAX.... I suspect that you will get a faster response from Lee to any
fax protocol issues that you find in HylaFAX+ (not that I believe you will
find any).  PLEASE note that as a company we actively support and promote
both HylaFAX and HylaFAX+.... so please don't beat me up over this
recommendation !

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com