Re: [hylafax-users] distorted tif when viewed by eye-gnome

On Fri 16 Nov 2007 11:50:04 NZDT +1300, Giulio Orsero wrote:

> > Are there any viewer programs running on Linux which actually work?
> >
> > Actually really useful too would be a command line program to convert
> > the TIFFs to PDF. I don't think tiff2ps always worked either.
>
> If the problem is a particular format of the tiff files (ie: MMR), not
> the tiff format in itself, then you could convert all received tiff to
> 1-MH (I think this is the most basic fax tiff format) with
>
> tiffcp -c g3:1d original.tif  new.tif

I'll remember that, but the main problem was page orientation and size.
Sometimes it takes some effort to kick out the US paper sizes (for
tiff2ps it needs a wrapper script, because noone is interested in
remembering some random numbers with -w and -h). Most viewers/converters
are too stupid to get the aspect ratio right. When I thought I had
something sorted, I get an fax where the first page is A5 and the rest
is A4 (A5 is A4 halved). One can center the A5 on an A4, or put it into
one of the corners, or keep it sideways at the bottom or top of the A4
page. Useless is the option chosen by the so-far top candidate: keep the
pages sideways, and assume all the rest of the pages are in A5 as well,
thus chopping half off.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.