Re: [hylafax-users] modem config for apple USB modem

Hi, Lee:

On 2007/10/19, at 6:58, Lee Howard wrote:

Well, the modem is doing what it's supposed to be doing. It's HylaFAX that's not doing what it should.

After that CONNECT you should see HylaFAX transmitting data. Is your modem misconfigured? Remove your config.<devid> modem config file, re-run faxaddmodem, and start again there.

Lee.

I did faxaddmodem again, but situation was not changed. Further more hylafax ignores the RING. I attach the conversation with faxaddmodem in the end of this mail.

And I built hylafax server on another mac from source code again
along the guidance. On the way installation, the faxsetup, faxaddmodem
and faxmodem started automatically. There seems no error
on setting up them. And faxaddmodem conversation is almost same
as on the another machine.

the guidance page is:
http://www.hylafax.org/content/ Handbook:Source_Code_Install#Mac_OS_X_Guidance

But this time, this server wouldn't send fax although the hylafax
successfully accept the job by sendfax. Then I remembered that
I didn't tested sending on another mac's hylafax...

First time, I didn't make change in '/etc/ttys' even though I know
the installation guidance indicates editing it to boot faxgetty.
It's because I wanted to confirm fax sending.
However this wouldn't succeed. The hylafax accept the job
and can see it by 'faxstat -sl', but the status was "W".

JID  Pri S  Owner Number       Pages Dials     TTS Status
2    119 W  **** 6000          0:2   8:12

I checked /var/spool/hylafax/status to see modem status,
but there was not 'tty.usbmodem' file, only 'any.info' existed.

So I edited '/etc/ttys' to boot faxgetty on tty.usbmodem,
then faxgetty successfully appeared on the process list.
After that the 'faxstat -sl' says:

HylaFAX scheduler on ****************.local: Running
Modem tty.usbmodem (+81.************): Running and idle

JID  Pri S  Owner Number       Pages Dials     TTS Status
2    117 S  **** 6000          0:2  10:12   17:12 No local dialtone

Umm. The line is surely connected to modem, and the line is alive.
I'm now getting a little confusing.

Yoshi

(faxaddmoem converstaion)
Now we are going to probe the tty port to figure out the type
of modem that is attached.  This takes a few seconds, so be patient.
Note that if you do not have the modem cabled to the port, or the
modem is turned off, this may hang (just go and cable up the modem
or turn it on, or whatever).

Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 OK.
stty: stdout appears redirected, but stdin is the control descriptor
stty: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
stty: stdout appears redirected, but stdin is the control descriptor
stty: stdout appears redirected, but stdin is the control descriptor

Hmm, something seems to be hung, check your modem eh?

About fax classes:

The difference between fax classes has to do with how HylaFAX interacts
with the modem and the fax protocol features that are used when sending
or receiving faxes.  One class isn't inherently better than another;
however, one probably will suit a user's needs better than others.

Class 1 relies on HylaFAX to perform the bulk of the fax protocol.
Class 2 relies on the modem to perform the bulk of the fax protocol.
Class 2.0 is similar to Class 2 but may include more features.
Class 1.0 is similar to Class 1 but may add V.34-fax capability.
Class 2.1 is similar to Class 2.0 but adds V.34-fax capability.

HylaFAX generally will have more features when using Class 1/1.0 than
when using most modems' Class 2 or Class 2.0 implementations.  Generally
any problems encountered in Class 1/1.0 can be resolved by modifications
to HylaFAX, but usually any problems encountered in Class 2/2.0/2.1 will
require the modem manufacturer to resolve it.

Use Class 1 unless you have a good reason not to.

Hmm, this looks like a Class 1 modem.
stty: stdout appears redirected, but stdin is the control descriptor
stty: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
stty: stdout appears redirected, but stdin is the control descriptor
stty: stdout appears redirected, but stdin is the control descriptor
Product code (ATI0) is "960".
stty: stdout appears redirected, but stdin is the control descriptor
stty: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
stty: stdout appears redirected, but stdin is the control descriptor
stty: stdout appears redirected, but stdin is the control descriptor
Other information (ATI3) is "Motorola SM56 USB 1.5.6".
DTE-DCE flow control scheme [default]?
Warning, multiple configuration files exist for this modem,
the file uds-fastalk is ignored.
Modem manufacturer is "Motorola".
Modem model is "SM56".

Using prototype configuration file moto-288...

The modem configuration parameters are:

ModemAnswerCmd:		"AT*FR\nATA"
ModemAnswerDataBeginCmd:"ATO\n<waitfor\072CONNECT>"
ModemDialCmd:		ATDT%s
ModemFlowControl:	rtscts
ModemHardFlowCmd:	AT&R\Q3
ModemMfrQueryCmd:	!Motorola
ModemModelQueryCmd:	!28.8
ModemNoFlowCmd:		AT\Q
ModemRate:		19200
ModemRevQueryCmd:	AT%V
ModemSetupAACmd:	AT+FAA=1
ModemSetupDCDCmd:	AT&C1
ModemSetupDTRCmd:	AT&D3
ModemSoftFlowCmd:	AT&R1\Q1
ModemWaitForConnect:	yes

Are these ok [yes]? yes

Creating new configuration file /var/spool/hylafax/etc/ config.tty.usbmodem...
Done setting up the modem configuration.

Checking /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config for consistency...
...some parameters are different.

Warning, the dial string rules file,

/var/spool/hylafax/etc/dialrules

does not exist, or is not a plain file.  This file must
reside in the /var/spool/hylafax directory tree.

The non-default scheduler parameters are:

CountryCode:		81
AreaCode:		92
LongDistancePrefix:	1
InternationalPrefix:	011
DialStringRules:	etc/dialrules

Are these ok [yes]? yes

Creating new configuration file /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config...
...saving current file as /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config.sav.

Don't forget to run faxmodem(8C) (if you have a send-only environment)
or configure init to run faxgetty on tty.usbmodem.