Re: [hylafax-users] Phone ringing during initilizing

John Warren wrote:

I've noticed a problem when receiving faxes when most of the lines are busy sending. The problem occurs while the modem is initializing and the phone rings. The ring status messages seem to cause the initialization to fail and then repeat. This keeps happening until either the call hangs up or moves on to the next line. What I would like to see is the initializing routing detect that rings are occurring and switch to receive mode rather than just let the line ring until the caller hangs up.

A fair amount of work has gone into making *faxgetty* capable of initializing and receiving a call while the line is ringing... and it *should* be able to do that.

However, the work for that on the faxgetty-end probably only complicates things for faxsend... which now probably is getting all the way trough the initialization and trying to place a call on a line where an outbound call is coming in... at which point the call would probably fail and by the time things were handed back over to faxgetty it probably would be too late.

So the idea would be for faxsend to error-out very quickly, and hopefully faxgetty would get re-initialized in time to handle the call. But, my guess is that it wouldn't work reliably.

Better, I would suggest that a faxsend that detects an incoming call could, if desired, quickly switch into the rarely-used "dialanswer" feature after it completes the initialization.

In any case, its something that's going to require some code development work.

Thanks,