Re: [hylafax-users] Anyway to control the order that faxstat lists them modems?

* John Warren <jwarren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [070914 14:21]:
> True you can do it that way but the sort is not right when some of
> the tty have one digit and some have two, i.e., ttyS5 and ttyS10.

sort -n does numerical sorting.

> It just seems like there just may be a list that faxstat is using
> which could be edited that might change the order but maybe not and
> sort is the best one can do.

It takes them in the order the underlying FS keeps them in its
opendir/readdir/sequence.  Most Linux FS *used* to keep them in the
order they were created (so when we opendir/readdir, they were returned
in file creation order).  But modern Linux FS's no longer always return
them in creation order - they store them in hashes and tree's that
provide much faster access and higher scalability, but don't keep the
original creation order.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103