Re: [hylafax-users] Faxing a pdf document with embedded TrueType fonts

Paul Freeman wrote:

I am trying to use a recent release of HylaFax under Fedora Core 4 to fax a
pdf document created on MS-Windows XP (using FreePDFXP v3.20 and ghostscript
v8.54, not Adode distiller). The document only contains the MS-Windows Tahoma
font.  When I fax the document using sendfax it is sent OK but the text
characters are replaced with squares.  I have not edited the typerules file
so the hylafax server is doing its own pdf conversion.  Hylafax is working
fine for sending and receiving faxes.

I understand this is a font problem and have spent several hours searching
for solutions without much luck.  My head hurts from all the reading:-)

I have installed the Tahoma TrueType font on the hylafax server as a .ttf
(not Type 1) and I have confirmed ghostscript can locate the font (using gs
prfont.ps, /Tahoma DoFont).  The pdf document has been created so the font is
embedded as a TrueType font.  I have checked in acrobat reader and it says
the font is:  Tahoma (Embedded Subset), Type: TrueType, Encoding: Custom.

If I change the pdf so it is created with the font embedded in outline form
(Type 1), the sent fax text is displayed correctly.

Is this a problem with my configuration of HylaFax or the pdf document I
have?

The problem is that Ghostscript doesn't have the font or can't use the embedded font. Ghostscript can use substitute fonts. I would first suggest an upgrade to 8.56 and then try again. 8.56 solved a lot of issues like this for me.

Can Hylafax handle pdfs with embedded TrueType fonts as long as ghostscript
has the font installed and can locate it or does HylaFax require the fonts in
Type 1 format?

If Ghostscript is fine with it HylaFAX will be.