loop as I thought I was, PDF handling is working correctly.

Good to know. Thanks for the follow-up.

Is there a
recipe/how-to that you know of for handling MS Word attachments?

When I have to do MS Word conversions on the Linux side of things I tend to use antiword to do that... although I do suspect that OpenOffice would yield better results. I tell my customers to not submit Word docs, but if they do then I will do my "best" to handle them... and that means that whatever degree of acceptibility antiword give them, well, that's what I do. See your typerules file for an example entry. It should look like this:

# MS Office (Word) conversion using antiword. Install antiword
# and enable this if you want it. It may produce imperfect
# renderings, but they're better than nothing, perhaps.
#0 short 0xd0cf ps antiword -p letter -m 8859-1.txt %i > %o
0 short 0xd0cf error Microsoft Word Document support not configured

So disable the "error" line, and enable the "ps" line with antiword (after you get antiword installed).

The
non-plus MIME Converters approach doesn't seem to be firing.

It's certainly more tricky to get going right.

Excellent software, btw... It Just Works.

Thank you, that's the goal. :-)