Re: [hylafax-users] Intranet integration

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
Well, I think there are 2 main reasons why Lee's FaxAccounting "hook"
aren't in HylaFAX.

1) Everything it gives you is easily available in other forms in HylaFAX
   already:
   - TRIGGERS give you an easy way to get every event of a particular
     job, or any job, and act on it in any way you see fit.  The
     "faxwatch" that comes with HylaFAX is a simple program that uses
     triggers.  Use it as an example on how to program triggers
     directly, or use it as a pipe where you read job events from.
     TRIGGER  (and AuditHooks) give you hooks on *any* event, not
     just the few that FaxAccounting hooks are available in.
   - The "AuditHook" gives you configurable "execs" on any trigger event
     (jobs events, and non-job events, like modems, etc)
   - faxsend can easily be "wrapped" to give the ability to to almost
     unthinkable logging/etc of recording sessions in progress.
   - If all you want is a "log" of the xferfaxlog into a database, then
     postprocessing the log is a much safer thing to do (i.e. you can
     easily see what records were missed while the database/network was down),
     of if you *need* "real-time" updates (i.e. 1/min isn't quick
     enought), 10 lines of perl (a couple more of C/C++) will give you a
     program that makes xferfaxlog a FIFO that faxq writes to and you
     can do exactly what you want with it.

2) The xferfaxlog (which is what FaxAccouting abuses) is being abused to
   include a log of stuff which is *not* xferfaxlog recording.  And it
   *still* doesn't give you access to all the events that you would want
   if you're doing "real-time" database recording of the job events.

Hi Aidan,

I am looking to take outgoing faxes and incoming faxes and import them into our intranet application.  The intranet application runs on a different server so simply adding database entries are not good enough.  Right now I use a PHP script to access a SOAP service to add the details from the fax as well as the fax file itself to our intranet.  I am currently using the faxrcvd and faxnotify to accomplish this.  For incoming faxes it isn't a problem as faxrcvd gets called for every incoming fax.  Unfortunately for outgoing faxes, only faxes that are set to receive notification can be imported as that is the only time faxnotify is called.

I am looking for a consistent method of importing the faxes into our intranet that doesn't rely on settings set by the user.  I tried searching the HylaFAX documentation for triggers and AuditHook but I cannot find anything on them.   Where can I find the documentation for these features?

Regarding a wrapper for faxsend, how would this work?  Wouldn't this only capture when a fax was submitted to the fax server and not if the fax failed or when it was completed?

As for your last option, I have experimented with polling hylafax to see if there are any incoming or outgoing faxes that are not already in the intranet and then simply importing them at that time.  I don't mind polling every five minutes but I just thought some kind of event-based method would be easier.

--
Richard Morris
Toll Free: (866) 960-3331

JPEG image

begin:vcard
fn:Richard Morris
n:Morris;Richard
adr:;;#101 - 937 Dunford Ave.;Victoria;BC;V9B 2S4;Canada
email;internet:richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:(250) 474-6022
tel;fax:(250) 474-6099
x-mozilla-html:TRUE