Re: [hylafax-users] multiple faxsend on the same serial

* francesco messineo <francesco.messineo@xxxxxxxxx> [070426 04:41]:
> Hello,
>
> I observed this strange behaviour on two different installation of
> hylafax (both 4.3.3, the first on a CentOS distribution, the second on
> a Ubuntu 6.10).
>
> Sometimes I observe a whole lot of wedged modems, looking at the
> session logs I see "strange" things, like different processess talking
> to the same modem. Infacts, I see different processes talking to the
> same modem:
>
> 30859 ?        S      0:00 faxsend -m ttyM14 sendq/q45662
> 31071 ?        S      0:00 faxsend -m ttyM14 sendq/q45459
> 31288 ?        S      0:00 faxsend -m ttyM14 sendq/q45676
> 31299 ?        S      0:00 faxsend -m ttyM14 sendq/q45393

What are the parent PID of these processes.  Are you stopping/restarting
faxq regularly?  Can you show the log lines from faxq's syslog that show
it starting all these faxsend processes?

> Obviously ttyM14 is reported as wedged very often in this case.
>
> On the CentOS distribution the faxgettys were configured in
> /etc/inittab, on the Ubuntu 6.10 they are configured in /etc/event.d
> (this distribution uses upstart instead of init).
> Did I make an obvious configuration error or something is wrong somewhere
> else?
> I observed that disabling the faxgettys somehow helps, but I always
> have to remember which modem is supposed to receive fax and which is
> send-only. I'd like to find a better solution.

Running faxgetty is the recommended production mode, even for send-only
environments.  Tune the PollLockWait appropriately in the per-device
config files.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103