Re: [hylafax-users] RECV send RTN (retrain negative), class2

>>> SNIP <<<

>Lee Howard <faxguy <at> howardsilvan.com> writes:
> In Class 2 the modem is handling the copy quality checking (and
> correction).  So although HylaFAX doesn't see the errors (because the
> modem "fixed" them) the modem did, and thus it correctly sends RTN to
> indicate to the sender that the page quality was unacceptable.
>
> That said, the +FPTS response there indicates 816 lines of image data
> (which roughly corresponds to what the modem delivered to HylaFAX).  Add
> that shortness to the size of the data (211+ K), and something seems
> awfully weird here.
>
> This modem is set up in Class2, works more reliably for me than Class1.
>
> The MT5634 modems work well in Class 2.0 and 2.1 - I can't vouch for
> them in Class 2, although I expect them to work tolerably well there
> also.  That said, I really cannot fathom them working any less reliably
> in Class 1 than they do in Class 2.
>
> What problems were you having in Class 1 that convinced you that you
> needed to switch to Class 2?
>
> Lee.

Odd, Lee, faxaddmodem only lets me set up these modems as class1 or class2.
Won't let me do 2.0 or 2.1, says the modem only has support for classes 1
and 2. And I do have their latest 8.19j firmware.

If I recall correctly with class1 I was getting "Unspecified phase D" errors
and this was occurring from numerous senders - and when I changed back to
class2 this went away.

/Mark