Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax+ 5.1.1 with pam_winbind Debian

* Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [070409 15:39]:

> >Apr  9 13:15:55 localhost HylaFAX[2697]: PAM checking user "ricktest"
> >pass "(null)" from "172.16.1.82"
> >Apr  9 13:15:55 localhost hfaxd[2697]: pam_authenticate failed in
> >pamCheck with 0x13: Conversation error
> >Apr  9 13:15:59 localhost HylaFAX[2697]: PAM checking user "ricktest"
> >pass "test123!" from "172.16.1.82"
> >Apr  9 13:16:01 localhost hfaxd[2697]: pam_authenticate failed in
> >pamCheck with 0x7: Authentication failure

> The "Conversation error" is an indication that the 4.3.3 PAM handling is
> still buggy - at least for the first pass.  The application is
> responsible for handling the conversation from end-to-end.  As for the
> "seriousness" of the error --- it's ultimately saying the same thing:
> that the authentication is failing in the underlying PAM module...
> somewhere.

No - not buggy.  It's intentionally that way.  Perhaps grossly verbose
in it's logging...

When we first try and authenticate, we *do not* have a password.  So
when the pam framework calls us for the password conversation callback,
we return PAM_CONV_ERR, because we *cannot* get a password.

If PAM authenticates us without a password, we're good.  If it tries to
get a password from us, we error it out, close the pam session, and
leave the client-server protocol in the WAITPASS state.  When the PASS
commaned is used to enter the password, we will have a password, and try
a new pam session to authenticate - this time providing the password
when the pam framework asks for it.

So the "conversation error" logging is something that we may think of
removing, but it seems enough people have problems configuring pam that
we thought being more verbose was better than not verbose enough.  And
because pam insists on controlling the event of the authentication
conversation, we don't have much choice but to "fail" the first attempt,
get control back, and then try again later when we have the password...

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103