Re: [hylafax-users] Ghostscript Anti-Aliasing For Better Quality Faxes

"A. Kalten" <akalten@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Recently, I came across a ghostscript parameter that I didn't
know had even existed.  The parameter is -dTextAlphaBits and
can be used to antialias fonts when producing a TIFF fax file
with the ghostscript tiffg3 drivers.  Specifically, when this
parameter is set to maximum, -dTextAlphaBits=4, the fax file created
is significantly better in quality when using text material created
with OpenOffice or LaTeX or enscript.

Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to share your discovery! Unfortunately, -dTextAlphaBits is not always useful - in some cases it produces dramatically better results, and in other cases leaves you with an unreadable tiff. I'm sure there's some rule of thumb for determining when it will help, and which value to use, but I don't know anyone who has taken the time to track it down.

Definitely one to keep in the toolbox though!

-Darren