Re: [hylafax-users] HylaFAX v4.3.2 cannot initialize multiTech modem

If you don't have a config.ttyS0, I would say it is NOT configured.
Do a locate config.tty to see if it's somewhere odd and check to see what your bootup found -- try: dmesg|grep ttyS
My bootup found my modem on an odd port and I had severe problems much like you are reporting. When I reran faxaddmodem on the port dmesg said was up, it started working. I still have the old config.ttyS* files but they are not called in inittab, I just use faxgetty ttyS14 (I know it is an odd port -- but that's what dmesg reported) I only have the one internal modem. Using a serial to external modem should be a snap, though. I don't know why you don't have a config.ttyS0 -- faxaddmodem must not have completed its work. :-(