Re: [hylafax-users] a quickie

Peter Verhoeven wrote:

Is it safe to install over the top of an existing Hylafax 4.3.1
installation in production. i.e. can I just "rpm -U
hylafax-5.0.4-1rh9.i386.rpm"?

Yes and yes. You should re-run faxsetup after this, however.

Will it overwrite my config files?

It shouldn't, but I advise that you always have a backup for anything that you don't anxiously want to recreate. There are some differences between the hylafax.org RPMs and those on Sourceforge.

Others (probably who are not reading this list) would be able to comment better on a 4.3.1 --> 5.0.4 transition, as I never used 4.3.1 myself and really am not keenly aware of any issues. I've only performed a 4.3.1-to-5.0.4 conversion once myself, and in that case I removed 4.3.1 entirely (rpm -e) before installing 5.0.4 just because I wanted to avoid any issues that I didn't foresee and I didn't want to spend any time investigating them and there was no configuration at all worth saving. I advise doing the same - with a backup in-tow - if you experience issues.

Asumming that RH9 is what I should be using in case of Centos 4.3.

The RH9 RPM should work for you I believe, yes.