Re: [hylafax-users] Fax confirmation: Umlauts (ä) broken

"Lee Howard" <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This "only honorable thing" isn't what you did in 1998 when you forked HylaFAX from Matthias Apitz, used his HylaFAQ and Sam's HTML documentation to set up the website, registered hylafax.org (which name the community had assumed was trademarked by SGI), continued the same versioning series (4.0 to 4.1), and continued to use the "HylaFAX" name for the project.

Is that really what you think? Just because you say it's so, does not make it true.

For the sake of the archive, the HTML documentation (including the HylaFAQ) was supplied to me in a tarball by Paul Vixie with Sam Leffler's approval (he had been hosting it for Sam). The original website at http://www.vix.com/hylafax/ had an HTTP redirect placed by Paul to redirect to www.hylafax.org. I just checked - it's still working.

The mailing lists archives were similarly transferred to me by their owner, complete with archives and subscriber lists, in order to make the transition as orderly as possible.

HylaFAX had fallen into disrepair since Sam had bowed out of active participation, and no longer compiled on many of the newer operating systems that were emerging (there was lots going on with Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, SCO and *BSD at the time). People were jazzed that HylaFAX was moving away from the benevolent dictator setup to a new, open development model complete with bug tracker, publicly accessible CVS and a bunch of people excited to collaborate to resurrect this wonderful software.

We didn't steal anything. It was directly entrusted to myself and the few other brave souls who launched hylafax.org by those who had it before us.

-Darren