Re: [hylafax-users] Fax confirmation: Umlauts broken

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

But in Max's case, the "receiver" is the field that the user submitting
the fax set (the TOUSER field, from the sendfax name@number
destination).  It appears to be UTF-8 characters (but remember, HylaFAX
has no way to know that it was intended to be UTF-8, or anything else).

This $receiver value was being used in the Subject line of the
notification email.

Ah yes, I was thinking that $receiver was maybe the "station id" data from NSF (in which case it's anybody's guess what character set that remote fax machine used).

Well, one could expect that if the user is submitting $receiver characters in the fax client that the character set being used would be identical to the one being used by the same user's mail reader. Of course, that expectation may not hold entirely true, but I would think that exceptions would be rare.

RFC2047-encoding mail subjects is probably the proper way forward, but I hesitate somewhat in doing it... as it really makes that header line somewhat less readable... minimally adding the somewhat cryptic markers and character set and encoding type at the front of it and then converting all whitespace to underscores.

On top of the raw mail source being less readable, there will be a few, perhaps outdated, readers that will display that raw. Weighing that against the actual benefit of the change - where mail reader and fax client default character sets differ - is a difficult measure, I'd say.