Re: [hylafax-users] Fax confirmation: Umlauts (ä) broken

Hello Lee,

thanks for your explanations.

Am Sonntag, 28. Januar 2007 00:10 schrieb Lee Howard:

> >The mail I received contains:
> >Fax an somename (GeschÀftlich/Fax) (number) abgeschlossen
> >
> >The sendlog in /var/spool/hylafax/log does not contain further information
> >
> >Any idea where else I could look?
> >
> >Hylafax 4.3.1 SuSE 10.0, postfix version 2.2.5
>
> Things work fine for me with HylaFAX+ 5.0.4 and Mozilla Mail 1.7.13 as
> the mail reader.  ISO-8859-1 is my default character set.

Well, I use kmail and that uses a list of charsets ( 8859-1 and 8859-15) until
it finds a match.

> My understanding is that the un-RFC-2047-encoded Subject header should
> be interpreted according to your mail reader's default character set
> (which I assume is ISO-8859-1) and, thus, should be displayed properly
> unless (as I assume) the source for the mail does, in fact, have "À"
> instead of "ä".  If the source for the mail is the problem in the
> display, then the templating process is likely at fault.  If the source
> for the mail is correct, then you may want to double-check the default
> character set in your mail reader.

I x-checked the mail with the webfrontend, and it contains already "À", so I
feel that the source of the mail might be wrong.

On the other hand, I use sendmail/postfix to post to this list as well as the
MTA for hylafax.
Can you maybe point me to the point where the message is generated? If it is a
script one could add a line to log the subject.

Cheers
Max