Re: [hylafax-users] WARNING: Potential Risk With Faxsetup

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 12:40:36 -0500
Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't see how this can leave TMPDIR set to your system "/tmp", but not
> exit.  If you CTRL-C in here, somehow in teh TMPDIR assignment, it exits
> (the trap is not yet installed) before getting to any rm.  If the
> asignment success or fails, I can't see how TMPDIR could possibly be
> /tmp.  Can you find a way to reproduce this, not necessarily using
> TMPDIR=/tmp, but similar code that can show how the variable we just set
> is some previous value?

I was very surprised as well.  When I have an opportunity I may
look into the matter and try to somehow reproduce it.  Since I was
doing many other things at the same time that I was installing
and re-installing HylaFAX, the exact conditions leading up to
this are difficult to recall.

The problem can't be very serious or else others would certainly
have encountered it previously, but faxsetup has been functioning
for a long while without difficulty.

Andrew Kalten