Re: [hylafax-users] WARNING: Potential Risk With Faxsetup

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 09:53:08 -0800
Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is a certain amount of risk that you run when testing/playing with
> older releases of software - in that you may run into a known bug.

Personally, I do not like the idea of any kind of installation
script.  They try to do all things for all people and, in my
opinion, that just invites problems.

The setup process can easily be done manually.  All that faxsetup
accomplishes is the creation of config.cache and config.modem
and also the proper users and aliases.  Through faxaddmodem it
creates the config and config.tty.  These things can be done
directly by the user, and because HylaFAX is configurable in so
many other ways, a manual install would seem to be the best approach.

Furthermore, there is no better way to get to know the operation
of a software package other than to install and tweak it from
scratch.

But this is all philosopical.  I am sure a lot of users greatly
benefit from being spared the tedium of a fully "do-it-yourself"
installation.

Andrew Kalten