Re: [hylafax-users] Remote TSI name string vs. remote number

Ron Pettis wrote:

So, I was hoping there was a class 1 modem command that would query a "name TSI" instead of a "number TSI" (ok, obviously limited knowledge here on my end).

No, it doesn't work that way. When receiving the only identification that the receiver normally gets from the sender (at all) is in the form of TSI and then the image itself. There are other forms of identification available per the T.30 fax spec that a sender can use, but you'll never see them used.

So yes, the only thing that the callee knows about the caller is what is in Caller*ID (if available), TSI, and then the image itself.

Our users' HP1240 fax machines have two fields to identify the fax machines in the "Basic Fax Header" setup.

Field#1 asks: "Enter your name" and many ASCII values can be used (including upper/lowercase letters).
Field#2 asks: "Enter your number" and only 0123456789()WR*-+ are allowed.  (Why W and R are allowed is beyond me).
Note Field#2 is not allowed to be blank.

When faxing from these HP1240's to HylaFAX, the fax header is printed at the top of each incoming page normally, we see:

| Date/Time | Field#1 name | Field#2 number | faxpage # |

And in an associated email that we send, the subject line reads: Facsimile received from <Field#2 number>. (We'd rather have name)

The fax header printed at the top of each incoming page is imaged there by the sender. HylaFAX faxgetty does not put it there. The manner in which that header is programmed and formed is dependent upon the sending machine itself. So if Field#2 corresponds exactly with the TSI data then that's because the fax machine uses that programmed data in both uses. You may be able to get your one sender to change how it behaves, but you can't control what identification a sender will present to you as a receiver.

So if there is some information in the header that you want to use in an automated fashion, then you'll need to use OCR tools (i.e. gOCR) to change the image data into ASCII and then parse it out. I would expect your good results to be sporadic at best with uncontrolled sender pools.