Re: [hylafax-users] Remote TSI name string vs. remote number

* Ron Pettis <rspettis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [061228 16:55]:

> Thanks for the follow-up!  I know what you're saying and I thought the
> same thing.  (Also FYI, we're not using any caller ID.) So, I was
> hoping there was a class 1 modem command that would query a "name TSI"
> instead of a "number TSI" (ok, obviously limited knowledge here on my
> end).

Well - the "sender" controls what TSI it sends, so no matter what modem,
we are limitted by what they send.

> Our users' HP1240 fax machines have two fields to identify the fax
> machines in the "Basic Fax Header" setup.
>
> Field#1 asks: "Enter your name" and many ASCII values can be used
> (including upper/lowercase letters).  Field#2 asks: "Enter your
> number" and only 0123456789()WR*-+ are allowed.  (Why W and R are
> allowed is beyond me).  Note Field#2 is not allowed to be blank.
>
> When faxing from these HP1240's to HylaFAX, the fax header is printed
> at the top of each incoming page normally, we see:
>
> | Date/Time   |   Field#1 name |  Field#2 number  | faxpage # |

So this is part of the page image at the top of the page?

> And in an associated email that we send, the subject line reads:
> Facsimile received from <Field#2 number>. (We'd rather have name)

So it appears (and you could check the session logs to verify) that the
TSI it sends is what you call <Field#2 number>.

Now, technically, T.30 only allows the TSI to be digits, space, +, .,
etc.  and not the full range of ASCII characters, even though many
(most) machines accept (and transmit) full range of ASCII for TSI.

> --------------------- Now, what really puzzles me....Sometimes we get
> junk faxes that even though the header has BOTH a name and number (as
> above), HylaFAX has extracted the TSI with the Field#1 name instead of
> Field#2 number.

> Like:

> Nov 27 09:59:14.70: [ 1927]: --> [7:CONNECT]
> Nov 27 09:59:15.82: [ 1927]: --> [2:OK]
> Nov 27 09:59:15.82: [ 1927]: REMOTE TSI "Mortgage Services"
> Nov 27 09:59:15.82: [ 1927]: <-- [9:AT+FRH=3\r]
> Nov 27 > 09:59:15.84: [ 1927]: --> [7:CONNECT]
> Nov 27 09:59:16.12: [ 1927]: --> [2:OK]

So the sender transmitted a TSI of "Mortgage Services"

> .........Now, it'd actually be PERFECT if I could have BOTH the name
> and number.  But I'd settle for just the name, since it'd be great to
> manage the recvstats reports (to exec mgmt) with names instead of
> numbers, and also for the emailed subject lines.

I think your confusing things here.  What the "sender" puts on the top
of the page (your header) is image data (TIFF).  HylaFAX doesn't extract
*anything* from this tiff image data.   People have come up with schemes
to use some form of OCR to to stuff on incoming faxes, with varied
results...

> I saw someone has modified their setup to crossreference this
> "automanually" and generously contributed it at:
> http://www.hylafax.org/archive/2002-01/msg00173.php (and associated
> thread)
>
> In there, the author writes:
>
> SENDER2=`cat log/c$COMMID | awk -F\" ''/FTSI/' {print $2}' | \ sed -e
> 's/[ ]*//g' | \ awk 'getline {print $0}'`

> I'm wondering if these items are relevant to what I'm looking for, but
> my "$COMMID" logs don't contain any "FTSI" text. (I confess I don't
> know the full dynamics of the code, either).  But in plain english I
> can tell the author is piping each log into awk finding instances of
> FTSI and piping that result into sed.  If only I had FTSI?

The problem that was bein addressed there was when there was *no* tiff
file (i.e. there was a problem with the fax).  So though there was no
tiff file (and hence no faxinfo output to get for SENDER), he was going
to the logs to try and find a TSI.

I think you're trying to chase information that is not available in a
way for easy automated processing.  Remember, the "header" you see at
the top (or bottom if the fax is upside down) is part of the actual page
image data sent by the sender.  The TSI is an actual string sent before
page image data is sent, and that is what the SENDER reported by HylaFAX
is.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103