[hylafax-users] How can I calculate number of pages in a PDF file?

I've got a few questions:

I am writing a php client to run hylafax for a small office.  I convert
the documents to .pdf files, then send them to sendfax.  I'd like to
display the number of pages in the document.  Is there an easy way of
doing this?

I'd also like some tips on creating custom cover sheets.  I have hacked
the one provided to a small extent, but I'd like to create my own.  When
I've printed a Word or other document to file, as suggested in the HOWTO,
the text in the file is unreadable and it has not been possible to modify
the .ps file.

Finally - is there a way of giving more information in the subject or body
of the notification email - eg. name of pdf file, name of
sender/recipient?