[hylafax-users] FaxNotify -return to "user"

Hylafax 4.2.5.  Wish to have failed sent FAX (maybe all status, even, if that's more difficult) sent to the originating users.

Apparently FaxNotify is a means to do this, and I may test a bit, but . . . I am at a loss as to how hylafax will know what email address to send to.  There are no email addresses defined, anywhere.

Currently, as I am still building/testing, (and was not up to speed on faxadduser) I have only IP addresses in hosts.hfaxd, to allow me to begin other configuration.   Is that where I define users?  Will users need to be defined as, and log in as, their email address?   Or do I also need to create "real" Linux users, in some fashion?

Eventually, I'd like to have a sort of "single sign on", via LDAP to an existing directory, where all users are already defined (but not hylafax aware).  There was some previous allusion to this (which feels like illusion at the moment) where PAM module was mentioned.  I've made no headway, there.

Who can enlighten the dimness of my mind on this?  The first part, more pressingly, unless the LDAP thing will save long term effort.

joea