From: hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lee Howard
Sent: May 16, 2006 7:17 PM
To: Tony Delov
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] wedged and reset scripts

Tony Delov wrote:

> Hi All,
> I was looking trough the the man for wedged.
> It talks about a reset modem script.
> " If there exists an  executable  file  /var/spool/hylafax/etc/resetmodem
>       then  that file will be executed upon execution of the wedged
> script in
>       an effort to recover the modem."
>
> Has anyone got any scripts that they use ?

The applicable scripts will be quite varied, I would think, depending on
what you want to do and what kind of modem you have.

For example, if you have a MultiTech ISI modem or a MainPine RockForce
modem you can reset individual modems with a utility that they provide.
So your resetmodem script would basically involve a call to that utility
in an appropriate fashion.  If you have dumb (meaning not intelligent
enough to have such a utility) internal modems maybe just rebooting the
system is the only thing that can be done.  If you have external modems
attached to a smart UPS maybe then you can run some utility to trip the
power to them.  Maybe you want to send an e-mail to someone other than
FaxMaster (where the normal wedged mail would go) - someone who works in
a nearby room, and they'll walk over there and power-cycle an external
modem...

Anyway... the options are limitless and I think that they would vary
quite a bit from implementation to implementation.

As for my usage of it... it's been fairly limited to using the MultiTech
utility and doing reboots.  I haven't had much of a wedged problem to
concern myself with it more than that.