[hylafax-users] 2.6 kernel and Multiport boards (MainPine)

I've been messing around for the past several hours trying to get the RockForce Octo+ from Mainpine
working on a 2.6 kernel.

All is working well except, the multiport command comes back invalid.

After 'Several' recompiles of my kernel I decided to search the group.

I found a post (quoted below) by Darren Nickerson of iFax, stating basically in 2.6
multiport support is different, you no longer need the mutliport statement...
it should just work. He also mentioned MainPain would make a official statement
(Which I do not see on their site) is regards to a recommended installation
procedure.

What I would like to know is:

Is anyone running this setup in a production environment?
If so what are your experiences, is it stable?

Thanks, Robert Silvia DEXIS, LLC www.dexray.com

-- Quote Mentioned above --

"Lee Howard" <fax... <http://groups.google.com/groups/unlock?msg=dfdc066ed46d2b8f&_done=/group/fa.hylafax/browse_thread/thread/a6707a5a079e3009/dfdc066ed46d2b8f%3Fq%3Dmultiport%26rnum%3D1>@howardsilvan.com>:

> Chris Giesel wrote:

>>All:

>>I am having difficulty installing my mainpine rockforce octo+ and
>>configuring Fedora kernel 2.6.5-1.358.i386 serial ports/ttyS latches. I
>>have
>>the following information:

>>We have recompiled the fedora core 2 kernel with the options for *multiport*
>>serial devices enabled as suggested earlier.

>>We ran the setserial command:
>>setserial /dev/ttyS14 port 0xdc80 irq 9 autoconfig ^fourport substituting
>>apropriate io addresses and ttyS where apropriate

>>we are still getting "Cannot get *multiport* config: Invalid argument" after
>>running setserial /dev/ttyS14 set_multiport port1 0xdce0 mask1 0xFF
>>match1
>>00x00

> You may have to recompile your kernel with the *multiport* options enabled.

Chris/Lee,

In kernel-2.4, the *multiport* 'latch' is required. Most major distros default
kernels are compiled with *multiport* support, and so the set_multiport line
would execute properly (at least when there's no ioport interrupts) and a
kernel recompile would not be required.

This has completely changed in kernel-2.6 ... they've reworked the *multiport*
serial support quite a bit.

We've been working with Mainpine to help them develop a recommended
configuration procedure for kernel-2.6, and we each have 2.6-based fedora's
in our labs in testing. So far, it seems like you can run all the setserial
commands _except_ for the *multiport* latch (which is not relevant to
kernel-2.6 and as far as we can tell will never work) and it should 'just
work'.

Look for an update on Mainpine's website once they've finalized their
official recommendations.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson