Re: [hylafax-users] If you were buying an external modem for hylafax....

I'll second the advice on staying away from USR. For some reason these modems wotk fine with everything I've tried except HylaFAX. I also second the advice on using an external serial modem. I have an off-the-shelf 56K external modem I bought at CompUSA and it just works. That's all you want it to do is to sit there quietly sending and receiving all faxes without fail and this one does. It was only $29 so don't rule out the cheap ones.

Dimitrios <sehh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 1 May 2006 11:54:11 -0500 wrote:

> I'm setting up a new hylafax server on a suse OSS 10.0 box and have the opportunity to buy a new modem.
> anyone out there have any rock-solid ones they use? (i.e. what is the absolute most compatible external modem you've found??)

rule number one, don't buy USRobotics

rule number two, safest hardware that will be compatible is serial modems (not USB, or PCI, etc)

rule number three, test it before you buy it

I'm using an old serial Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro modem configured for Class 1.0.