Re: [hylafax-users] Seeking Recommendations: Multiport serial Cards

Robert Silvia wrote:

Does any one have a recommendation for a multiport serial card. I am looking for something PCI based, 4-8 serial ports and good linux support.

Well, the "good linux support" part is the gotcha there. Omitting the "good" part of that requirement the options as I know them are:

MultiTech ISI5634, MainPine RockForce, Comtrol RocketModem II, Equinox MultiModem SST, Perle Ultraport, and Digi AccelePort RAS (with Patton drivers).

All of those work relatively well, with the AccelePort probably being my least-preferred among them (but it still works good enough for me - and I'm fussy). Both the MultiTechs and the MainPines (and probably the Perles) support V.34-Fax (SuperG3), and that's a nice feature to have.

As for the "good linux support" part... only MainPine, Equinox, and Perle have drivers supporting Linux kernel 2.6, and in my book supporting a generic 2.6 kernel is essential for "good" Linux support.

As for "good" HylaFAX support (which part was implied but not stated), both MultiTech and MainPine have been helpful participants here and deserve kudos for that.

Hope that helps,