Re: [hylafax-users] Dialrules, local exchange dialing.

On Sat, Mar 25, 2006, Lee Howard wrote:
>Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>>Has anybody put together a database of dialrules that deals with the issues
>>of local vs long distance dialing by area code and exchange?
>
>Yes many times for different areas.

My question was if there was one place where one could enter their local
areacode and exchange, and get the appropriate dialrules for their area.

I'm reasonably familiar with the dialrules file (Sam Leffler got the
patterns at the beginning that translate alpha to numbers from me back when
SGI hosted the mailing list, then flexfax@xxxxxxx :-).

I have some for exchanges in the Puget Sound area of Washington State (my
local M.I exchanges being the only one that're reasonably current).

The dialrules file for our exchanges here has changed several times in the
10+ years we've been using hylafax (nee flexfax), as new area codes have
split.  A large portion or our local dialrules file maps old 206-xxx
exchanges to new area codes.

I think it would be useful to have a central repository of dialrules files.
The U.S. versions would index on area-code and exchange.

The attached file works for the 206-232 and 206-236 area code and
exchanges, and may be helpful to others who have to deal with area codes
where some exchanges are local and others long distance.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

Bagdikian's Observation:
	Trying to be a first-rate reporter on the average American
	newspaper is like trying to play Bach's "St. Matthew Passion"
	on a ukelele.
! $Id: dialrules,v 1.4 2003/05/16 02:15:45 darren Exp $
!
! HylaFAX (tm) Dialing String Processing Rules.
!
! This file describes how to process user-specified dialing strings
! to create two items:
!
! CanonicalNumber: a unique string that is derived from all dialing
! strings to the same destination phone number.  This string is used
! by the fax server for ``naming'' the destination.
!
! DialString: the string passed to the modem for use in dialing the
! telephone.  This string should be void of any characters that might
! confuse the modem.
!
Area=${AreaCode}		! local area code
Country=${CountryCode}		! local country code
IDPrefix=${InternationalPrefix}	! prefix for placing an international call
LDPrefix=${LongDistancePrefix}	! prefix for placing a long distance call
!
WS=" 	"			! our notion of white space
!
! Convert a phone number to a canonical format:
!
!
! by (possibly) stripping off leading dialing prefixes for
! long distance and/or international dialing.
!
CanonicalNumber := [
%.*			=			! strip calling card stuff
[abcABC]		= 2			! these convert alpha to numbers
[defDEF]		= 3
[ghiGHI]		= 4
[jklJKL]		= 5
[mnoMNO]		= 6
[prsPRS]		= 7
[tuvTUV]		= 8
[wxyWXY]		= 9
[^+0-9]+		=			! strip white space etc.
^${IDPrefix}	= +			! replace int. dialing code
^${LDPrefix}	= +${Country}		! replace l.d. dialing code
^[^+]			= +${Country}${Area}&	! otherwise, insert canon form
]
!
! Process a dialing string according to local requirements.
! These rules do only one transformation: they convert in-country
! international calls to long-distance calls.
!
DialString := [
[-${WS}.]+	=			! strip syntactic sugar
[abcABC]	= 2			! these convert alpha to numbers
[defDEF]	= 3
[ghiGHI]	= 4
[jklJKL]	= 5
[mnoMNO]	= 6
[prsPRS]	= 7
[tuvTUV]	= 8
[wxyWXY]	= 9
! New Washington areacode 425
^1206201	= 425201
^1206202	= 425202
^1206203	= 425203
^1206204	= 425204
^1206226	= 425226
^1206227	= 425227
^1206228	= 425228
^1206234	= 425234
^1206235	= 425235
^1206237	= 425237
^1206245	= 425245
^1206250	= 425250
^1206251	= 425251
^1206254	= 425254
^1206255	= 425255
^1206260	= 425260
^1206271	= 425271
^1206277	= 425277
^1206313	= 425313
^1206354	= 425354
^1206372	= 425372
^1206391	= 425391
^1206392	= 425392
^1206393	= 425393
^1206401	= 425401
^1206402	= 425402
^1206412	= 425412
^1206413	= 425413
^1206417	= 425417
^1206420	= 425420
^1206430	= 425430
^1206432	= 425432
^1206450	= 425450
^1206451	= 425451
^1206452	= 425452
^1206453	= 425453
^1206454	= 425454
^1206455	= 425455
^1206456	= 425456
^1206462	= 425462
^1206466	= 425466
^1206477	= 425477
^1206481	= 425481
^1206482	= 425482
^1206483	= 425483
^1206485	= 425485
^1206486	= 425486
^1206487	= 425487
^1206488	= 425488
^1206489	= 425489
^1206492	= 425492
^1206507	= 425507
^1206519	= 425519
^1206557	= 425557
^1206558	= 425558
^1206560	= 425560
^1206562	= 425562
^1206578	= 425578
^1206580	= 425580
^1206590	= 425590
^1206602	= 425602
^1206614	= 425614
^1206635	= 425635
^1206636	= 425636
^1206637	= 425637
^1206640	= 425640
^1206641	= 425641
^1206643	= 425643
^1206644	= 425644
^1206646	= 425646
^1206649	= 425649
^1206653	= 425653
^1206656	= 425656
^1206670	= 425670
^1206672	= 425672
^1206681	= 425681
^1206688	= 425688
^1206704	= 425704
^1206712	= 425712
^1206739	= 425739
^1206741	= 425741
^1206742	= 425742
^1206743	= 425743
^1206744	= 425744
^1206745	= 425745
^1206746	= 425746
^1206747	= 425747
^1206765	= 425765
^1206771	= 425771
^1206774	= 425774
^1206775	= 425775
^1206776	= 425776
^1206778	= 425778
^1206785	= 425785
^1206787	= 425787
^1206788	= 425788
^1206791	= 425791
^1206803	= 425803
^1206806	= 425806
^1206814	= 425814
^1206820	= 425820
^1206821	= 425821
^1206822	= 425822
^1206823	= 425823
^1206827	= 425827
^1206828	= 425828
^1206830	= 425830
^1206836	= 425836
^1206837	= 425837
^1206865	= 425865
^1206867	= 425867
^1206868	= 425868
^1206869	= 425869
^1206873	= 425873
^1206880	= 425880
^1206881	= 425881
^1206882	= 425882
^1206883	= 425883
^1206885	= 425885
^1206888	= 425888
^1206889	= 425889
^1206895	= 425895
^1206899	= 425899
^1206908	= 425908
^1206921	= 425921
^1206951	= 425951
^1206957	= 425957
^1206961	= 425961
^1206965	= 425965
^1206970	= 425970
^1206974	= 425974
^1206981	= 425981
^1206990	= 425990
! remove the long distance on local 425 numbers
^1425201	= 425201
^1425202	= 425202
^1425203	= 425203
^1425204	= 425204
^1425226	= 425226
^1425227	= 425227
^1425228	= 425228
^1425234	= 425234
^1425235	= 425235
^1425237	= 425237
^1425245	= 425245
^1425250	= 425250
^1425251	= 425251
^1425254	= 425254
^1425255	= 425255
^1425260	= 425260
^1425271	= 425271
^1425277	= 425277
^1425313	= 425313
^1425354	= 425354
^1425372	= 425372
^1425391	= 425391
^1425392	= 425392
^1425393	= 425393
^1425401	= 425401
^1425402	= 425402
^1425412	= 425412
^1425413	= 425413
^1425417	= 425417
^1425420	= 425420
^1425430	= 425430
^1425432	= 425432
^1425450	= 425450
^1425451	= 425451
^1425452	= 425452
^1425453	= 425453
^1425454	= 425454
^1425455	= 425455
^1425456	= 425456
^1425462	= 425462
^1425466	= 425466
^1425477	= 425477
^1425481	= 425481
^1425482	= 425482
^1425483	= 425483
^1425485	= 425485
^1425486	= 425486
^1425487	= 425487
^1425488	= 425488
^1425489	= 425489
^1425492	= 425492
^1425507	= 425507
^1425519	= 425519
^1425557	= 425557
^1425558	= 425558
^1425560	= 425560
^1425562	= 425562
^1425578	= 425578
^1425580	= 425580
^1425590	= 425590
^1425602	= 425602
^1425614	= 425614
^1425635	= 425635
^1425636	= 425636
^1425637	= 425637
^1425640	= 425640
^1425641	= 425641
^1425643	= 425643
^1425644	= 425644
^1425646	= 425646
^1425649	= 425649
^1425653	= 425653
^1425656	= 425656
^1425670	= 425670
^1425672	= 425672
^1425681	= 425681
^1425688	= 425688
^1425704	= 425704
^1425712	= 425712
^1425739	= 425739
^1425741	= 425741
^1425742	= 425742
^1425743	= 425743
^1425744	= 425744
^1425745	= 425745
^1425746	= 425746
^1425747	= 425747
^1425765	= 425765
^1425771	= 425771
^1425774	= 425774
^1425775	= 425775
^1425776	= 425776
^1425778	= 425778
^1425785	= 425785
^1425787	= 425787
^1425788	= 425788
^1425791	= 425791
^1425803	= 425803
^1425806	= 425806
^1425814	= 425814
^1425820	= 425820
^1425821	= 425821
^1425822	= 425822
^1425823	= 425823
^1425825	= 425825
^1425827	= 425827
^1425828	= 425828
^1425830	= 425830
^1425836	= 425836
^1425837	= 425837
^1425865	= 425865
^1425867	= 425867
^1425868	= 425868
^1425869	= 425869
^1425873	= 425873
^1425880	= 425880
^1425881	= 425881
^1425882	= 425882
^1425883	= 425883
^1425885	= 425885
^1425888	= 425888
^1425889	= 425889
^1425895	= 425895
^1425899	= 425899
^1425908	= 425908
^1425921	= 425921
^1425951	= 425951
^1425957	= 425957
^1425961	= 425961
^1425965	= 425965
^1425970	= 425970
^1425974	= 425974
^1425981	= 425981
^1425990	= 425990
! New Washington areacode 253
^1206288	= 253288
^1206350	= 253350
^1206351	= 253351
^1206395	= 253395
^1206480	= 253480
^1206518	= 253518
^1206520	= 253520
^1206529	= 253529
^1206561	= 253561
^1206569	= 253569
^1206630	= 253630
^1206631	= 253631
^1206638	= 253638
^1206639	= 253639
^1206657	= 253657
^1206661	= 253661
^1206709	= 253709
^1206735	= 253735
^1206740	= 253740
^1206773	= 253773
^1206779	= 253779
^1206796	= 253796
^1206797	= 253797
^1206804	= 253804
^1206813	= 253813
^1206815	= 253815
^1206833	= 253833
^1206838	= 253838
^1206839	= 253839
^1206850	= 253850
^1206852	= 253852
^1206854	= 253854
^1206856	= 253856
^1206859	= 253859
^1206872	= 253872
^1206874	= 253874
^1206887	= 253887
^1206929	= 253929
^1206931	= 253931
^1206939	= 253939
^1206941	= 253941
^1206945	= 253945
^1206946	= 253946
^1253520	= 253520
! 206 area codes that are long distance
^1206222	= xxxx222
^1206252	= xxxx252
^1206272	= xxxx272
^1206347	= xxxx347
^1206348	= xxxx348
^1206383	= xxxx383
^1206385	= xxxx385
^1206388	= xxxx388
^1206426	= xxxx426
^1206435	= xxxx435
^1206473	= xxxx473
^1206552	= xxxx552
^1206555	= xxxx555
^1206566	= xxxx566
^1206582	= xxxx582
^1206588	= xxxx588
^1206627	= xxxx627
^1206683	= xxxx683
^1206697	= xxxx697
^1206699	= xxxx699
^1206735	= xxxx735
^1206754	= xxxx754
^1206794	= xxxx794
^1206833	= xxxx833
^1206848	= xxxx848
^1206922	= xxxx922
^1206924	= xxxx924
^1206939	= xxxx939
^1206		= 206				! Local 206 numbers
^xxxx		= 1206				! reinsert area code
^[+]		= ${IDPrefix}		! international call
]

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions