Re: [hylafax-users] Generating a Caller-ID only log file

As I understand things now, the "QualifyCID-Ex" idea and patch has been scuttled and a healthy debate resulted in a better solution. This is good. I think I understand that in the new solution DynamicConfig gets called for *every* incoming call prior to the time it may or may not be answered, and that it is still passed the same arguments as before. The script must print "ACCEPT\n" or "REJECT\n" to stdout to tell HylaFAX whether or not to answer the call. What happens if it prints neither? Can it still alter configuration parameters the way it could before? If so, does it matter where in the list of output lines the accept/reject line appears? Does the exit code have any meaning to HylaFAX?

This new solution brings a few of additional questions to mind:

Is a new-style DynamicConfig script an appropriate place to launch an entirely different program to handle the call in a different way (eg. data or voice app)?

If the old method of altering configuration parameters with DynamicConfig still applies, then is there a combination that one could use to instruct HylaFAX to answer calls with the sort of telemarketer-handling features of Scud (http://www.drqware.com/scud/help.php). I don't mean to raise anyone's hackles on the subject of telemarketing - it has its place, but there can be cases where it is useful to discourage future calls in a non-confrontational but insistent manner.

Is it kosher for a DynamicConfig script to alter the CallIDPattern parameter values themselves? This could be useful for fax notifications when the caller ID name is unhelpful but the number is known (ie. replace the name) or to suppress caller ID information in fax notifications for sensitive sources.

Finally, Lee, I note your latest patch (hylafax.org-dynamicconfig-reject.patch) was applied against a version of faxGettyApp.c++ dated March 15th as opposed to your first patch (hylafax-qualifycidex.patch) which was applied against a March 13th version. If you feel you've nailed down the changes for this new DynamicConfig solution, a single patch file that could be applied against the official v4.2.5 source distribution would be great - read "I'd love to apply it and try it out" :-)

Carl

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
* Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [060315 08:29]: