Re: [hylafax-users] Generating a Caller-ID only log file

* Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [060314 13:17]:

> >Sure - you need a different file,  But how bad is:
> >$SPOOL/etc/cid.accept:
> >	.
> >$SPOOL/etc/cid.reject:
> >	!.
> >
> >And then it's another line that your DynamicConfig has to output.
> >	QualifyCID: etc/cid.reject
> >or
> >	QualifyCID: etc/cid.accept
> >

> Sure it's easy for us... but I'm just not sure how obvious that will be
> for a newbie to conceive.
>
> Furthermore, by doing it this way we essentially obsolete the old
> QualifyCID approach - this new approach being far more versatile, and we
> may as well abandon the old method, I think, if this is the case.

Yes, I'ld love to abandon it too.

> There are other config items that DynamicConfig cannot control.  For
> example, the CallID stuff, RingsBeforeAnswer, probably others.

Ya - the basics that control how to read the call identification needed
to call DynamicConfig.  I'm not sure we can get around some of them.

> HylaFAX development has been far more concerned, over the years, with
> backwards compatibility than most other development projects that I know
> of.  To me it's a good thing to have if it's easy to do, but otherwise,
> just move on and don't let that ambition create future confusion and
> problems.

For me, the only think I religiously want to keep backwards compatibly
is the hfaxd-exposed client-server protocol.  Noone sould have to
upgrade a client to talk to the server (unless they want to use newly
exposed features), and ideally, newer clients (like sendfax) should be
able to still submit jobs to older hylafax servers.

>            For something like this keeping backwards compatibility
> doesn't matter at all to me... but, like I said before, I wasn't really
> wanting to make that decision independently.  But, take your pick of
> whatever of these options that I agree with, and let me know where to go
> with this.

OK - I'm all for moving towards consolidating QualifyCID and
DynamicConfig.  I'm not a big fan using the exit value to control the
accept/reject behaviour.  I'ld favour a printed command ("ACCEPT\n", or
"REJECT\n", or something like "RejectCall: <boolean>\n", etc.

a.
--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 438-4638 x8103