From: hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lee Howard
Sent: 10 February 2006 09:06
To: moritz winterberg
Cc: hylafax
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] hardware requirements ?

moritz winterberg wrote:

>Hello List,
>
>I have a question for those of you weho are experienced with hylafax in
>strong traffic environments.
>
>I am running hylafax with an Eicon Diva Server PRI card having 30
>channels (modems) through capi4hylafax. Also the machine will do some
>conversions (tif2pdf and pdf2gif) for all incoming faxes.
>
>Assuming a throughput of 3000 pages (faxes) per hour (which should be
>the peak of what the eicon card is capable to handle), what would be
>the system hardware requirement regarding CPU and Memory ?
>
>At the moment the machine has a Pentium 4 2.4 G with 512 MB RAM. But it
>is still in test environment and I wonder if I need to upgrade the
>hardware before going productive ?

I'm not familiar with how resource-intensive capi4hylafax is, so my comments
only are in regards to how HylaFAX works with AT-command-interface modems.

You should be able to run 30 channels full-time sending or receiving with no
problems with the system as you have it now... at least as far as faxsend
and faxgetty go.  Those are not very resource-intensive programs.  Fax is
not very demanding by today's CPU/memory standards.
In fact, you could easily run 30 channels full-time in Class 1 ECM with the
system as you have it now.

So faxsend and faxgetty aren't an issue... but what could potentially be an
issue would be faxq and its children (send conversion processes) and faxrcvd
and post-reception processing.  If, for some reason, you have 30 faxes all
received and completed nearly simultaneously, and if your
FaxDispatch/faxrcvd is doing some heavy-lifting, then you could get into
trouble... meaning things would get slow... and its possible that this could
affect fax protocol with some concurrent faxgetty/faxsend processes.
Likewise, if for some reason, you have 100 jobs all hit the queues at the
same time, faxq can easily start up a huge number of processes in preparing
the TIFF/F image files for faxing.  These can also get you into trouble.

Those things said, the chances are not likely that you'll ever run into
those problems unless you're somehow triggering the problem yourself by
various activities that you may do, and you'd probably notice it right
away... and then hopefully you'd make modifications to the way you do
things.