Re: [hylafax-users] hardware requirements ?

moritz winterberg wrote:

Hello List,

I have a question for those of you weho are experienced with hylafax in
strong traffic environments.

I am running hylafax with an Eicon Diva Server PRI card having 30
channels (modems) through capi4hylafax. Also the machine will do some
conversions (tif2pdf and pdf2gif) for all incoming faxes.

Assuming a throughput of 3000 pages (faxes) per hour (which should be
the peak of what the eicon card is capable to handle), what would be the
system hardware requirement regarding CPU and Memory ?

At the moment the machine has a Pentium 4 2.4 G with 512 MB RAM. But it
is still in test environment and I wonder if I need to upgrade the
hardware before going productive ?

I'm not familiar with how resource-intensive capi4hylafax is, so my comments only are in regards to how HylaFAX works with AT-command-interface modems.

You should be able to run 30 channels full-time sending or receiving with no problems with the system as you have it now... at least as far as faxsend and faxgetty go. Those are not very resource-intensive programs. Fax is not very demanding by today's CPU/memory standards. In fact, you could easily run 30 channels full-time in Class 1 ECM with the system as you have it now.

So faxsend and faxgetty aren't an issue... but what could potentially be an issue would be faxq and its children (send conversion processes) and faxrcvd and post-reception processing. If, for some reason, you have 30 faxes all received and completed nearly simultaneously, and if your FaxDispatch/faxrcvd is doing some heavy-lifting, then you could get into trouble... meaning things would get slow... and its possible that this could affect fax protocol with some concurrent faxgetty/faxsend processes. Likewise, if for some reason, you have 100 jobs all hit the queues at the same time, faxq can easily start up a huge number of processes in preparing the TIFF/F image files for faxing. These can also get you into trouble.

Those things said, the chances are not likely that you'll ever run into those problems unless you're somehow triggering the problem yourself by various activities that you may do, and you'd probably notice it right away... and then hopefully you'd make modifications to the way you do things.