Re: [hylafax-users] Problem LOCKWAIT *SOLVED*

Hello Lee,

I would be surprised if it will. But maybe as a reference to WHFC
(a free Windows-HylaFax client).

In the thread "[hylafax-users] Notification of sent faxes."
( beginning with the Mail from: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik@xxxxxx>
  at Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:27:23 +0100 )

I resopnded at Mon, 30 Jan 2006 02:31:38 +0100 with:
> if you want notifications for your sent faxes, you may edit the
> shell script /var/spool/hylafax/etc/notify.
> This script is called by the hylafax server after sending a fax.
> What I did to get these notifications is
> - patched sendfax to copy the tif-file to be sending to some
>   temporary file (save it as /var/spool/hylafax/tmp/lastSendFax)
>   by moving the original sendfax to (e.g.) my_sendfax
>   and write a short script sendfax that copies the tif-file and
>   then calls my_sendfax
> - edit the notify script so that it attaches the previously copied
>   tif file to the mail when there was no problem
>   and remove lastSendFax after mailing it to the user.
>
> However, this approach may fail if the users send several faxes
> at a single time (although it didn't failed yet).
>
> Maybe someone else has a better way to do the same...
>
> Otherwise I hope this helps.
> Kilian

You (Lee) responded on Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:33:35 -0800
to Erik.
> Yes.  See 'man notify'.
>
> If, when you submit the fax, notification is requested (i.e. 'senfax
> -D') then the notify script is run.  Customizations to notify
> behavior (such as returning the sent image files) is done with the
> FaxNotify feature.

Your Answer led to a diskuss about (defaultly) enabling
the use of notification of faxes, sent with sendfax -D.

As my users use WHFC to submit their jobs to the hylafax-server,
and have alternatiff-plugin to view tiff-files of their faxes in
their email-clients, I don't know if your solution works for me.
The notifications to my users are highly customised to be filtered
in the mail-client (netscape messenger 4.x) based on the subject of
the email (german language, one klick to open link to tif-file,
that the mail-client can load, using a samba path). The tif-files
of sent and received faxes are copied to a separate directory,
generating unique and user-readable filenames of the form
To_NUMBER_COUNT.tif or From_NUMBER_COUNT.tif

As I installed hylafax for my first time (some 5 years ago),
I created this patch for sendfax as a shell script, calling
a simple awk-script, that gets the tiff-file out of the queue file
that is passed to sendfax and does the copy as described above.
This was part of the costomization for user-notifications.
Now, when I updated the old server, I moved my notification-scripts
to the newly installed hylafax-server and don't had to touch my
client PCs.

If you think, that my hack is worth for the community, and is not a
deprecated way to do that, I'm willing to send the scripts to you.

Although I want to read man notify (and perhaps I've done already)
I don't know about it's content at this moment. Guess I need to
read it again...

Thanks for your interest !
--
K. Schlaich

 (  Knowhow Computer Service  |  Email:  info@xxxxxxxxxxx  )
 (  Kilian C. Schlaich (KCS)  |           kcs@xxxxxxxxxxx  )
 (  Roter Weg 119             |  Telefon: 07151 / 480 361  )
 (  71384 Weinstadt           |  Fax:     07151 / 9120716  )
 (         Informationen zum KCS finden Sie unter          )
 (             http://kcs-rems.de im Internet.             )