Re: [hylafax-users] No Response to PPS

On Thursday 13 October 2005 10:44, support wrote:
> Hi Daniel.
>
> It's unlikely that you will ever get your fax to run over a VoIP line
> reliably.  If you have a search through the HylaFAX archives you will get a
> detailed discussion of why not.
>
> We ran a bunch of tests on a VoIP 'dedicated fax' line in the USA and UK
> using a bunch of fax machines, fax modems, and fax boards..... It never
> worked reliably.  I would suggest that you invest in a POTS line because
> it's going to be a lot cheaper than the time you will waste on getting this
> to work.

We use an Eicon Diva card in our fax server  {Hylafax, of course, on Debian
Sarge}, feeding into a Digium ISDN card  {four primary rate lines} in our
PABX server  {Asterisk on Debian Sarge}.  The PABX is also connected to two
30-channel ISDN lines.  This combination works well for telephony  {both
directions}  and faxes  {outbound}.

Of course, our faxes are not strictly VOIP by that stage, but the zeros and
ones of ISDN.

As long as you are using an uncompressed codec such as G711 A-law or micro-law
{you will have to check with your telco which one is used natively by your
ISDN line}, fax sending should work over VOIP without problems.  We have also
successfully deployed Grandstream HandyTone adaptors on fax machines
connected to our Asterisk box.

--
AJS