Re: [hylafax-users] 4.2.2 Upgrade Via RPM

"Jeff Schulze" <jschulze@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I recently noticed that ifax posted some RPM's for RH of 4.2.2. I am currently running a production server of 4.2.1 on RH Fedora Core 2. So far it is working very smoothly and there are no problems, but I like to keep my software up to date, and I've heard Lee say there are alot of fixes. I am very nervous about messing with a working setup however, for fear it will lead to more work for me to repair. (and lost buisness for my company if this goes down to long.) So, will a RPM install retain all my old Hylafax settings and just replace what is needed?

Is it safe? :p

Jeff,

I'd definitely recommend upgrading to 4.2.2, especially if you're configured to use Class 1 or 1.0. The RPM is meant to be safe for typical users - it will create .rpmnew files instead of overwriting those precious config files, and will generally 'do the right thing'.

The package can't anticipate everything you might have done to HylaFAX though, so the advice is backup, backup, backup (and test a restore), and make sure to 'rpm -Uvh' the package so RPM knows you're upgrading.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer