Re: [hylafax-users] Multitech modem and distinctive ring

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 10:38:49AM -0400, George Bell wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 18:15 -0500, Amal Phadke wrote:
> > Hi all:
> >
> > 	I have a Multitech modem "MT5634ZPX-PCI-NV Internal Data/Fax
> > Modem Version 8.19i". Does anyone know if it supports Distinctive Ring
> > (DR)? This one is a "No Voice" modem. I didn't get a response from
> > Multitech to my email about this.
> >
> > 	If it supports distinctive rings, has anyone been successfully
> > using the modem and DR with HylaFAX in the US?
> >
> Yes, with a MT5634ZPX-PCI.  I'm not sure about a MT5634ZPX-PCI-NV.  You
> can find out though by pointing minicom at the tty where your modem
> lives and issue the command "AT+VDR?"  This will give the possible
> values for the parameter if the modem suports it, and just "0" or
> "error" if it doesn't.  B.T.W. hylafax will work nicely for voice calls
> as well if you can install the vgetty package.
>
> George

Thanks George! I also heard from Multitech support and they
confirmed that MT5634ZPX-PCI-NV supports distinctive ring.

When I issue AT+VDR=? command, it gives (0,1),(0-255). So DR indeed
works, although I am not sure what (0-255) mean.

Thanks,

Amal