Re: [hylafax-users] for those who wish to fax MS Word docs...

Lee Howard wrote:

Deep down, though, I'm not a big fan of handling Word docs directly, just like I'm not a big fan of handling HTML docs directly. Word docs look slightly different based on whatever printer and print driver you happen to be using. It's going to be almost impossible to guarantee proper pagination and formatting "identical" to what the creator's Word program displays on-screen because Word docs weren't really designed to be portable that way, like PDFs are. And, this goes pretty much for any word processor filetype. If the sender wants to guarantee that the formatting look as it does to them, then they must export the document to a format that can guarantee it. PostScript, PDF, and TIFF all guarantee this. Word and HTML cannot. So, my using antiword here is just a couple steps better than using wvPS here, which is just a bit better (I suppose to these folks) than saying, "Well, it's better than nothing."

Agreed 100%. Combine that with the fact that any given Word document may:

- use fonts that are present only on the creator's system
- have links to external graphic files
- have embedded OLE 'objects' that need to be rendered by their host application
- etc.

Print-to-fax solves every one of these problems.