Re: [hylafax-users] hylafax loses modems

Jitse,

HylaFAX faxq (via the dispatcher) is supposed to initializes the modem
before calling on faxsend.  The status will change to "Waiting for modem
to come ready" when faxq is preparing the image file if you are running
faxgetty because faxq sets a lockfile for the modem which faxgetty
detects, and so faxgetty changes the status.  faxq then will change it to
"Initializing" after the job preparation is done and when faxq is ready to
invoke faxsend.

If there is some error with faxq initializing the modem then it *should*
(this is just what I'm thinking, not what the code says) return the job to
the queue and then move on to the next job.  These jobs that get returned
to the queue should get attempted at the next pass, sometime later.

If you're seeing jobs get "stuck" to one modem permanently then either the
job is being submitted with a specified modem (rather than a group of
modems) or there is a problem with faxq.

I must admit, though, that if you're having this kind of error commonly
with as many as half of your outbound modem pool, then you *could* try to
improve HylaFAX fax's resiliance here, but honestly, the *real* problem is
that your modems are not functioning right.

Lee.