[hylafax-users] hylafax loses modems

Hello everybody,

Since we switched to USB modems we are experiencing strange problems with
modems getting 'lost'. We send out large numbers (tens of thousands a
month) of faxes. When the servers and hylafax start, everything is
alright, but after a while (varying from half an hour to several days)
some faxjobs seem to 'wait'. The fax does not get sent nor is assigned to
a modem according to faxstat. When looking at the processes (ps) however
it is clear that it IS assigned to a modem (for example ttySHSF0).

It seems the following command
faxsend -m ttySHSF0 sendq/q3846
is not executed properly. In faxstat the job simply waits and ttySHSF0-
status is either 'Initializing' or 'Waiting for modem to come ready'.

The problem is that hylafax does not realise that there is a problem and
just keeps on sending jobs to that modem resulting in large numbers of
faxes being stalled. We also had for instance 4 out of 8 modems 'waiting'
causing great problems. We have several faxservers, all having the same
problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jitse