Re: [hylafax-users] Newbie meeting a challange: 20K outbound faxes in 5 hours # With HylaFAX? what RAS hardware?

Stefan Röschinger wrote:

Please welcome me to your mailing list ... we need help ... badly :)

We opened a new playground with the challange to build a fax server that
is capable to send out at least 25.000 faxes per day during daytime
(500k and more per month)

If you refer to "daytime" as lasting 5 hours long, then that comes to 83 faxes per minute. Roughly speaking you're going to need that many modems/channels, since you can roughly estimate that a page of fax takes a minute (everyone else, I don't care to debate this estimate, as it varies completely based on the TIFF size and the negotiation speed and the params used... I just use 1 min per fax as a "rough" estimate).

So you're looking at 3 E1's. So you'll need Eicon Diva Server, Patton 2977, or BrookTrout cards. The latter will not work with open-source HylaFAX.

The Diva Server will cost you less in CPU overhead and RAM than the 2977, but as CPU and RAM are cheap these days, that cost probably isn't much of a factor except that you need to be aware of the need to have a beefier system with the 2977 than with the Diva Server.

That said, I think that your bottleneck is more likely to be the outbound queues (disk) and queue processing. So if you can mount a RAM disk and use that for the HylaFAX spool directory, you'll be well-off. Of course, you may need a fair amount of RAM to do that.

As long, then, as you stagger your fax submissions into the queue at a rate that doesn't overwhelm faxq but that doesn't leave the modems idle, then you're okay. Properly preparing your image for transmission *before* submitting it would also help.

I don't know how many fax machines in Europe support JBIG compression, but if even 10% of them do, then you may want to spearhead HylaFAX JBIG support, since that will usually prove to be a significant savings in image transfer time.