Re: [hylafax-users] Fax modem (data rate vs fax rate)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 21:10:08 +0000, Joe Hansen <joehansen12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for responding, David. :)

> Can I control the resolution at which the faxes are sent? What resolution do
> people normally use?  As long as the faxes are legible, I am willing to
> experiment. You are right when you said that there are still 9600bps modems

HylaFAX defaults to the lowest possible resolution.
You have to do something to increase it.
Look at a log for a confirmation.
.
> I am planning to switch from MT1932ZDX (14.4k and V.32 data compression) to
> MT5634ZBA-V92 (33.6k and v.44 data compression). Would data compression
> matter for fax transmissions?
Data compression matters, but not the v32 one.
Current HylaFAX can do 1-MH  2-MR  2-MMR
If you use the modem in class2 chances are you are not using the
highest possible compression (which would decrease times).
So check log for the compression you are using and maybe switch to class1.

Before buying v34 modem, analyse you logs for % of remote fax you send
to which support v34 so that you know if it will make a difference.

For instance, these are some stats (this is in Italy) for remote faxes
(machine we send to) capabilities

max supported remote speed
9k    28%
14k   45%
33k   27%

Of these 27% this is what was used (used/max)
14/33    10.11 %     (I had to lock to 14k some receivers due to
problems, other are due to noise so that 14k was selected)
21/33     1.72 %
24/33     0.34 %
26/33     1.38 %
28/33     5.08 %
31/33     7.35 %
33/33     0.39 %

Compression 1=1-MH  2=2-MR    3=2-MMR   (used/max)
1/1     8.68 %
2/2     20.63 %
3/3     70.68 %

So, the 1st thing is to check you are using 2D-MMR

--
giulioo@xxxxxxxxx