I configured minicom (using minicom -s), saved the settings and exited mincom. I then typed minicom at shell prompt. I got a message saying "Initializing Modem" and I am taken to the minicom Welcome screen....

<screen>
Welcome to minicom 2.00.0
Compiled on Sep 12 2003, 17:33:22.

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
</screen>

As you can see, It doesnt show my modem there. Where do I type the "AT" command? When I type anyting other than "CTRL+A" nothing gets echoed on the screen. I am so lost. Any advise is greatly welcome.

Thanks
Joe.

From: "Joe Hansen" <joehansen12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [hylafax-users] Waiting for the modem to come ready
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 21:13:47 +0000

Hi guys

Modem: MultiTech MT1932ZDX External Fax Modem
Machine: Redhat Linux

I have successfully installed, configured and used Hylafax to send faxes about a month back.After that, I had to move the machine and the modem to a different room. I did not test hylafax after the location change.

I am unable to send a fax now. When I do a faxstat, I get "Waiting for the modem to come ready".

I have checked the modem. The only LED thats lit is labelled "19" (presumably 19 Kbps). The LED named "CD" is not ON. Does this mean, that my modem is not detecting the carrier tone and hence is the root source of all my problems?

There is one other thing Id like to add. When I start faxgetty using....

$faxgetty /dev/ttyS1 &

faxgetty starts but terminates after a while. Does this explain anything?

Please advise.
Thanks
Joe