Re: [hylafax-users] Anyone using voice and fax on the same line

On Thursday 17 February 2005 14:25, Darrick Hartman wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone out there is using fax and voice on the same
> line.  In the past, I've used mgetty+sendfax and vgetty to accomplish
> this, but the facilities for receiving faxes with mgetty are no where's
> near as complete as they are with hylafax.  I'm thinking that since a
> majority of the calls would be voice calls, that I should have vgetty
> handling most of the work and somehow hand off to faxgetty, but I've not
> found specific info on how to accomplish that.
>
> Please note that I did search the list and found several mentions of
> people trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to get faxgetty to hand off the
> calls to vgetty.

I guess you haven't try here -  http://wiki.ifax.com/tiki-index.php under
"HowTo", then "Setup with Vgetty and Distinctive Ring".   There's also info
on settying up voicemail without distinctive ring.

There's no way short of changing source code to have vgetty hand off to
faxgetty in response to a fax call.  It would be nice as vgetty can't handle
class 1.  However, hylafax can be arranged to handle both voice and fax calls
without distinctive ring through the use of an egetty program.  This is
accomplished by leveraging another program in the vgetty package -vm.  See
above for details.

You can also try hylafax's limited adaptive answer capability which is based
on timeouts.
George