Re: [hylafax-users] Anyone using voice and fax on the same line

On Feb 18, 2005 08:09 AM, George Bell <gbell5@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday 17 February 2005 14:25, Darrick Hartman wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anyone out there is using fax and voice on the same
> > line. In the past, I've used mgetty+sendfax and vgetty to accomplish
> > this, but the facilities for receiving faxes with mgetty are no
> > where's
> > near as complete as they are with hylafax. I'm thinking that since a
> > majority of the calls would be voice calls, that I should have
> > vgetty
> > handling most of the work and somehow hand off to faxgetty, but I've
> > not
> > found specific info on how to accomplish that.
> >
> > Please note that I did search the list and found several mentions of
> > people trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to get faxgetty to hand off
> > the
> > calls to vgetty.
> >

> I guess you haven't try here - http://wiki.ifax.com/tiki-index.php
> under
> "HowTo", then "Setup with Vgetty and Distinctive Ring". There's also
> info
> on settying up voicemail without distinctive ring.
>
> There's no way short of changing source code to have vgetty hand off
> faxgetty in response to a fax call. It would be nice as vgetty can't
> handle
> class 1. However, hylafax can be arranged to handle both voice and fax
> calls
> without distinctive ring through the use of an egetty program. This is
> accomplished by leveraging another program in the vgetty package -vm.
> See
> above for details.
>
> You can also try hylafax's limited adaptive answer capability which is
> based
> on timeouts.
> George

Hi,

I am using a little box which has three connectors. Line in, phone and
fax. The
phone line needs to have an answer machine on it. When a fax comes in it
switches to phone/answer machine first and then to fax line. If the
phone get
picked before the answer machine answers and it is realized the income
call is a fax, we just hung up and it goes to the fax.
The little box was about A$50.00. I can supply more information if
needed.

Regards,
Horst