Re: [hylafax-users] Super G3 Fax Modems Recommendations

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Mike McMullen wrote:

> I'd like to replace the Best Data modems with 2 modems capable of
> Super G3. I'd like to hear anybody's experience and recommendations
> for Super G3 modems with Hylafax. Cost is an issue and I'd like to
> do this as inexpensively as possible!
>
> I've always used external modems for the best compatibility with RH
> and drivers. For cost savings, do PCI SuperG3 modems work well
> with linux/hylafax and if so which ones?

We have used Multitech's MT5634ZPX-PCI-V92 Internal Modems for several
years with excellent results.  We had issues using Class 2.1 with some
versions of their firmware, but after switching to Class 1.0, we have had
very few dropped calls and a high number of >14.4k connections.

You will also find a few common comments on the board, so I thought I'd
post them to perhaps save some time.

1) USR modems don't have supportable fax cababilities: they are fairly far
from being compliant in any class (1, 1.0, 2.0) and should generally be
avoided for fax use.  My only personal experience with this was failing to
get two internals to work and giving up (one winModem and one true modem).

2) Some winmodems DO work, but they should be avoided for two reasons: if
you want >1 in a box they are difficult if not impossible to configure,
and the savings is trivial (about $40 US).

3) Whatever modem you choose, you will get far better support from this
list if you can run it in Class 1 or Class 1.0 instead of Class 2, 2.0 or
2.1.  That is because Hylafax handles the protocol instead of the (often
buggy) firmware.  I believe (and Lee can correct me here) that the
Multitech's are the only analog PCIs that can run at 33.6K in Class 1.0
that are generally available.

Good luck
Bill