Re: [hylafax-users] fax completely stuck

* Lee Howard <faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [050203 18:34]:
> On 2005.02.03 15:10 Christian Schnobrich wrote:
>
> >Not recovering from a transfer error might justify a bug report.
>
> Aye.  However, it's complicated due to the way that HylaFAX works.
> faxsend is stuck sending the fax.  And it's really stuck, waiting for a
> write() to return, which never will, because it's blocked.  So faxsend
> cannot recover from the problem itself, alone.
>
> In a better-designed faxsend there would be two permanent faxsend
> processes.  The parent would do flow-control things and supervising of
> the child process, and it could monitor for when a write() or read()
> call gets blocked, and then kill the child when stuck.  We already fork
> to do flow-control things, but it's a temporary fork, and we certainly
> wouldn't want to fork before each and every write() or read().  So,
> until faxsend gets redesigned faxsend cannot recover from the problem
> alone.

Well, the Dispatcher framework in HylaFAX is very complete and very
powerful.  Unfortnately, faxgetty/faxsend (ModemServer) don't use it
for device communications.  Maybe it's time to do that?

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 438-4638 x8103