Re: [hylafax-users] Fax across VoIP lines working for anyone?

-

Bruce Whittaker
Tel:  02-92694193

02/02/2005 09:32

        To:        Alexandre Aractingi <aaractingi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>@EASMTP
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [hylafax-users] Fax across VoIP lines working for anyone?Link

>> On 2005.01.31 14:50 Bruce Whittaker wrote:
>> > Hmm...
>> >
>> > I'm new to both FoIP and VoIP. A quick question for you.
>> >
>> > The implementation they are looking at putting in here will be VoIP,
>> > should they have a network issue,
>> > they intend to flip faxes over to the normal phone lines. If I migrate
>> > T.38, will it work over the normal phone lines as well ?
>>
>> The answer to the question you're trying to ask is no.

>I'm not sure what B. Whittaker is "trying to ask" here, but to make it
>clearer for him:
>- as it's been mentioned, fax on VoIP (encoding fax directly in a G.711
>RTP stream) is not reliable, so you may forget about that
>- but you can have T38 and VoIP in the same network architecture, a lot
>of VoIP gateways also feature T38 relay
>- "normal phone lines" only support "standard" fax protocols, you have
>to use adapters to connect your (analog) fax machine at one end, and
>adapters (gateways) to connect to (analog or numeric) phone lines at the
>other end if you want your fax traffic to go over IP.

Thanks Alexandre & Lee,

I understand now. Sorry for the poorly worded question I'm glad you both understood what my aim was.

I'll try to phrase my questions a little better next time *grin*

Cheers,

Bruce Whittaker,
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information, including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.