Re: [hylafax-users] modem selection

hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/14/2004 04:53:04 PM:

> On 2004.03.14 12:32 An Intrepid HylaFax User wrote:
>
> > Well, for whatever reason, it seems that computer-based fax solutions
> > won't
> > ever approach the interoperability and reliability of a $20 throwaway
> > fax
> > machine despite the yeoman efforts of Lee and others.
>

> The biggest feature difference between most fax machines and most
> peoples' HylaFAX installations - with respect to fax protocol - is
> ECM.  ECM protocol compensates for a lot of bad behavior on the part of
> DCEs.  If you want to see HylaFAX be as good (or better) than a fax
> machine, then install HylaFAX CVS HEAD (to be 4.2.0) and run it on a
> Class 1 non-USR fax modem.  So to answer the original poster (assuming
> analog), I say to get a Class 1 non-USR fax moden and run HylaFAX CVS
> HEAD.  If you're not willing to use CVS, then get a MultiTech MT5634
> and use Class 2.0/2.1.

I'd just like to mention that it is great to see Hylafax being developed.
Clear back in '98 or so I was looking around for some options and hylafax
existed, but wasn't being developed anymore (if I remember correctly).  I
ended up purchasing VSIFAX for linux -- their very first linux release.
That worked well, but then they changed their pricing structure to charge
for EACH MODEM I had hooked to it.  Obviously I never upgraded and am still
running that very first release they did for linux.

Now we're looking at upgrading that server and VSIFAX doesn't play very
nicely with the latest linux flavors so I looked up hylafax again and was
very pleased to see it being actively developed!  I think the messages on
the list recently bagging on hylafax are very misdirected.  They seem to be
coming from the group that want to buy the $20 fax machine and expect it to
work with zero effort, or the group that refuses to buy even one useful
modem (ebay!).  The developers are doing great work.

I would like to give a plug for the CVS HEAD.  I was seeing some issues
with errors with my brand new Multitech modems, but once I upgraded to CVS
HEAD, things have been much smoother.  It will be great when it is released
and wide spread.

The one thing I would change (and if I had more time I would try to help)
is to populate the configuration files with all of the options.  Many of
the answers to the questions on this list are things such as "add
VARIABLENAME = X to your configuration file."  I think it would be
beneficial to have fully commented config files with all of their options
already there (with their defaults).  Right now, a person can't even try to
guess what the setting is because the variable isn't even listed in the
config file.