Re: [hylafax-users] ok so USR sucks but...

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Barney Treadway wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Well my hylafax has purring along with a USR Courier V Everything for few
> weeks and I'm now a bit curious. As many of us do, when evaluating tools
> (especially opensource) we grab what someone else thought was garbage,
> staple a bunch of junk together and see what happens. Makes for interesting
> reading I guess as people continually try to breathe new life into crap that
> should remain in the grave. That open source can survive this treatment is
> validation of its integrity, imagine calling microsoft because you're trying
> to put XP on your old commodore.
>
> So anyway, I know now that I should have stayed away from the USR but since
> its running fine should I:
>
> 1) Leave the USR in place, and feel pretty comfortable that since its
> working it will stay working.
> 2) Rip it out and replace with a nice new modem.
> 3) Be clever and pay i_fax to just add another modem and have two modems in
> place somehow backing each other up.
>
> I'm sending (only) about 5 faxes a day but will get to 50 a day in the next
> year.
>
> Any input will be appreciated,
>
> Barney

I'm from the school of "if it ain't broken don't fix it".  I've been using
a USR modem for years and it generally works.  However, every once and
a while there is some sender that just can't make it through.  His fax
machine and my modem just don't like each other!

This I can tolerate since it doesn't happen very often (used to be more of
a problem).  If it was a bigger problem I would replace the USR with one
of the recommended ones that have proven to work with Hylafax under heavy
loads.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer